The Datasembly Grocery Price Index™ provides the broadest set of standard metrics for tracking and understanding pricing trends in the grocery industry. It measures weekly changes in pricing for grocery products using data collected from over 130,000 stores and over 180 retail banners that span over 30,000 zip codes across the United States. The index leverages Datasembly’s unparalleled product data, which collects over two billion product prices daily, with hyper-locality that is second to none.
While inflation continues to rise, April’s National and local percentages were not as torrid as those in March.
- Frozen foods category grew the most at 2%
- Baking products grew 1.8% in March and grew another 1.8% in April
- Dairy & Eggs and Meat & Seafood categories grew at 1.3% and 1.4%, respectively
- Prices for the Alcohol and Produce categories actually dropped slightly (under 0.5%)
Urban vs. Rural
There were some significant differences of price inflation by category between rural and urban segments by category
The highest discrepancy was in the Baking category with prices going up 2.2% in Large Central Metro areas vs Rural where prices went up only 0.7%
Meal Solutions | Grains | Pasta when up 0.9% in Large Central Metro areas in April vs. Rural where prices actually went down 0.1%
Meat & Seafood when up 1.8% in Large Central Metro areas in April vs Rural where prices went up 0.9%
We’ve never seen inflation like we have in March 2022 or in Q1 2022 – and our Grocery Price Index dates back to Oct 2019!
- March’s monthly increase was 2.1%; higher than any month we’ve reported to date.
- Q1 2022’s quarterly increase was 5.5%. In comparison, Q3 2021 was 2.2% and Q4 2021 at 2.4%.
- For Q1 2022, the Meal Solutions | Grains | Pasta category increased by 9.4%, Frozen Foods was up 7%, Breakfast & Cereal was up 6.7%, and Dairy & Eggs increased to 5.9%
Urban vs. Rural
There were some significant differences of price inflation by category between rural and urban segments by category for Q1 2022:
Breakfast & Cereal increased by 2.1% and Beverages increased by 1.2% in large central metro areas compared to rural areas
Meat & Seafood increased by 1.6% and Deli increased 1.1% more in rural areas compared to large central metro areas
The Power of Datasembly
Datasembly provides access to billions of grocery & retail pricing records from every store at hundreds of retailers. Our proprietary technology platform allows you to obtain (and share) hyperlocal pricing, promotions, and assortment insight. Gain the information your organization needs to make real-life business decisions quicker, smarter, and more efficiently